VETERANS:  If you are a Veteran in need of legal assistance, please look at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for resources that may be locally available.

Also, visit the Service Members and Veterans Initiative.

H.R. 2938: HAVEN (Honoring American Veterans in Extreme Need) ACT of 2019 protects veterans' disability benefits and will now be treated like Social Security benefits for the purposes of determining Current Monthly Income criteria.

Legal Help for Active Duty Military:  Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Keep in mind that a local military legal assistance office attorney may be limited in how much he or she can do to help you with a legal problem, and they may need to refer you to a civilian attorney for you to fully resolve your problem.  A military reservist who has been activated and is preparing to deploy or has recently returned from deployment, and members of the National Guard on active duty for thirty days or more, as well as their family members with DoD ID cards, are eligible for legal assistance. Retired military personnel and their dependents with DoD ID cards are also eligible—subject to resource availability.  Military legal assistance may also be available to survivors of eligible service members and retirees, certain overseas civilian employees and their family members, and allied forces service members serving with U.S. Armed Forces in CONUS and their family members. Contact your nearest military legal assistance office for further details on eligibility.  A military spouse is eligible for the same services provided to active personnel—subject to the availability of legal assistance attorneys. Active duty personnel, particularly those in the junior enlisted ranks and those preparing for deployment, have first priority.